Thursday, September 25, 2014

University of Utah Hospital

Andra, when I got to the hospital I was under the impression that I would just be monitored for a couple hours and then sent home.  I got myself all checked in and they hooked me up to an automatic blood pressure cuff that took my blood pressure every ten minutes.  They also put dopplers on my belly so they could monitor your heart beat.

The Dr. came in and told me they would need to put me on a medication to try to bring down my blood pressure.  She also told me that I needed to call your Dad and tell him to come up to the hospital.  They were beating around the bush a lot and not really giving me much information on a "plan of attack" but they kept mentioning a possible hospital stay until your due date or having you within the next 24 hours... I started to worry. I was getting scared because no one would give me a straight answer on what was going on. I tried my hardest to calm down and be happy. The sound of your sweet whooshing heartbeat was beautiful. I felt alone in that room waiting for your Dad but I knew I wasn't. I wanted everything to be okay and all I could think to do was pray and hum, "A Child's Prayer," over and over. It helped calm me down but I was so nervous for the unknown.

Finally your Dad came walking through the door and my heart swelled with love and thanks for him. Just having him with me helped greatly. When the Dr. came back she explained that my blood pressure was not coming down and that they were quite concerned about it because it was not healthy for me or you. They asked if I was comfortable getting a steroid shot to help progress your lung development in case you came early. They prefer giving two shots in a 48 hour period 24 hours apart so I told them yes and they gave it to me. They then told me that I would need to be admitted to the Labor and Delivery floor for further  monitoring and that I would not be going home. I took the news in stride but was really nervous inside.

I was moved to Labor and Delivery and called my parents to let them know what was going on. I asked my Dad if he would be available to give me a priesthood blessing with your Dad. He said yes and they would be up in a bit. Your Dad left to go get some things for me at home and I was alone with you again listening to your heartbeat. The nurse came in and set me up on Magnesia and a Catheter.

I had all these thoughts in my head about what I would like to hear in the blessing. I wanted to hear that my blood pressure would come down, I could go home on bed rest, that you would continue growing and would be healthy and that I would be healthy.

My parents and your Dad finally came in and they proceeded with the blessing. Your Dad anointed the oil because he was too choked up and worried to say the blessing so my Dad gave the blessing. The blessing is not at all what I was expecting/hoping to hear. Your Grandpa blessed us with strength to deal with the challenges that had come to us, that we would feel of our Heavenly Father's love, that whatever the outcome we would get through it and be okay. I remember feeling disappointed at first but am so thankful for that blessing. Andra, it is exactly what we both needed and I know that this gospel is true. Our Father in Heaven knows each of us and is very aware of our needs, even more than we think we know ourselves. We must have faith in him. I am also extremely thankful that we have priesthood holders in our family that can give us blessings. I truly believe that because of that blessing we were able to overcome the hurdles that were coming our way.

I made your Dad go home that night so he could get some good sleep and I settled in with you in my belly. It was a LONG night. My blood pressure cuff went off every 15 minutes, they had to collect my urine every hour and they had to check my vitals every hour. The only thing good about that night was the constant sound of  your whooshing heart beat.

No comments:

Post a Comment